Skip to content

How to Fix: Google Search Engine Not Working in Chrome

Posted in Chrome, and How To

This is an easy one.

1. Click on the tab in the upper right hand corner that lets you go to your Chrome settings.
  2. Click on “Settings”.
  3. Scroll down to the bottom and click on “Show advanced settings…”.
  4. Under “Privacy”, click on “Clear browsing data…”.
  5. The following four items should have checkmarks:
    • Clear browsing history
    • Clear downloaded history
    • Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data
    • Empty the cache

The following four items should not have a checkmark in them (unless you want to clear this information too):

• Clear saved passwords
    • Clear saved Autofill form data
    • Clear data from hosted apps
    • Deauthorize content licenses
  6. The default setting will be to delete the browsing data for the past hour, but if you have had this problem of not being able to use Google Search in Chrome for longer than an hour, you can change the setting of “Obliterate the following items from…” to a longer period. If you are not sure, leave this as “the past hour” for now. If this solution doesn’t work, try increasing this and doing it again.
  7. Click on “Clear browsing data”.

This should fix it, especially if the problem has just started recently. If it doesn’t do the trick, please say so in the comments.

50 Comments

1. Thank you soooo much! I have an 8000 word essay to write in the next couple of days and do all my research through google. I nearly had heart failure when it stopped working.

Life saver!

Thanks again :)

5/14/2013
  2. gordon

hi

every time I click google to go to the Start -metro doesn’t even go in to google page of any kind please help .

5/21/2013
  3. Ahmed

Thanks a lot appreciating your effort

7/1/2013
  4. matt

That didn’t work for me. I still type a search string into the bar at the top of a new tab and nothing happens. I have to open the google page and type it into the search bar to get search results.

7/15/2013
  5. Jarrod

Thanks for your solution.

7/15/2013
  6. jean

I have AVG search that comes up when I hit new tab in Google Chrome and it will not work even after the steps you outlined. First search window when I open Chrome says Delta Search. I don’t know why this changes? If I want to search anything, I have to go back to IE,
    I prefer Google search

7/19/2013
  7. Gugu

Thank you for your help. It works but only for a day or two. Then I have to clear my cache again. Why is this happening now to me?

8/16/2013
  8. my settings/history options are not working either
    there is nothing displayed on and the page is completely blank what do you think the problem is

8/16/2013
  9. A. Prema

Many thanks! Your free help is magnanimous and saves us a fortune taking the computer down to the ‘specialists’ who charge an arm and a leg!

8/26/2013
  10. Cy

Thanks for your advice. I looked at my settings and found they were set as they should be. I am using a Japanese computer in Windows XP. Google was working well until yesterday. Now I find it cannot do basic searches, eg train information on “Jorudan” so I have reverted to Windows Explorer and that works.

9/15/2013
  11. Scouse722

I have had it with Google. It does not retain the search list. After clicking on the first item in the list, you can not go back to the first page and have to research the subject again.

Also, even though the cursor is flashing in the sear box, no typing appears until you click in the box.

Last straw, the have moved the Google bar and now it takes four clicks to find Google Maps.

Gone to Yahoo

10/13/2013
  12. Taher

chrome breaks google search on windows 8. This solution doesn’t work for me.

10/25/2013
  13. Márcio

thank you so much, that bug was driving me crazy :)

10/26/2013
  14. Chris

Not only did it not work but now no other search engine will work in chrome either so thanks for that, guess it’s back to firefox disappointingly.

10/30/2013
  15. Chris

Also should have mentioned, it’s only happening on this computer, the other 5 computers in my house chrome runs just fine on them other than the occasional “Aw Snap” page.

10/30/2013
  16. Great! seems to have done the trick. When I did a search I wasn’t getting a list of sites just a blank page, followed the above advice and it seems to have worked. Thank you very much.

1/9/2014
  17. Ah, worked for two minutes and back to the same problem? a total pain and taking so much time trying to resolve it!

1/9/2014
  18. Sandy

I am having the same problem as a few others… None of my Google Pages are working in Chrome. (Google Maps, Google search, Google calendar, etc) But they work in Safari.

When I clear the cache, these pages work for a few hours – sometimes even a day or so – then back to not working. What could be going on? – I do not want to have to clear my cache every few hours – I use Google all day! (and I liked Chrome)

2/17/2014
  19. Linas

I’ve got Windows 8.1. As soon as I click on the settings, the settings disappear and it crashes.

3/17/2014
  20. eric

So easy…but I didn’t know. Been stuck for weeks and now all is well

4/14/2014
  21. Jackdashack

I found it easy. Couldn’t get Chrome or IE to load Google. Turn off your router. While it’s sitting restart the pc and while it’s booting up turn the router back on. Something about the DNS cache in the router gets gunked up! Jack “:-D\

4/18/2014
  22. Karthik

..even settings,history doesn’t open.Google page itself not loading its remains untitled ..

5/1/2014
  23. Tim

That worked like a charm. Thank You!!

5/7/2014
  24. random

OMG this is the best i had tried deleting chrome and my extension but i saw this and this is the only thing that worked thank you SO MUCH

6/1/2014
  25. Marine

Umm i just fix this problem recently, accidently…
    and apparently there’s a new AD/Malware installed by 3rd party on your system, i did clean up yesterday and it’s working nicely now.
    You would’ve want to do ad/malware cleaning to try…

6/28/2014
  26. Jane

Thank you so so much! I still get these annoying pop up ads, what do I do about that?

7/4/2014
  27. Chris

The following worked for me. On Windows, from http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/google.co.uk.html:
    Start : Run : “cmd” — this opens a command prompt
    Type:
    ipconfig /flushdns

As I understand it this clears the system’s cached lookup of IP address per domain name, forcing it to get up-to-date links.

7/24/2014
  28. bobby

thanks it works now

8/14/2014
  29. Greg

For me, unticking the “Predict network actions to improve page load performance” checkbox in the Advanced settings did the trick. This has been driving me nuts for months, finally resolved the issue.

It also solved the issue of links in new tabs not loading. :)

8/18/2014
  30. Lakshith Vithana

thnk uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu…………….sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo……………. much for this thing. I uninstalled the browser too. but it hadn’t go up, once I tried the way u said, I got the Google search back agi. thnks a lot

10/12/2014
  31. faraz

its not working in my case .. when I am trying to search any keyword on google search engine its telling me (UNABLE TO CONNECT PROXY SERVER)

Please help me in this its really important I have google chrom

10/16/2014
  32. Thank you SO much. This started happening to me today and I was lost. Your solution fixed it thank you!

10/17/2014
  33. Bab

Please help me in this its really important I have google chrom

11/28/2014
  34. mw

wow. worked like a charm. Thank you!

12/10/2014
  35. Rudrugis

The only solution that worked for me on Win8.1 was to set the google public dns server: 8.8.8.8 as primary and 8.8.4.4 as secondary according to:

Then finally I got aeverything working again.

12/13/2014
  36. MauiCooker

Thank you! We have been agonizing over this, and even reinstalled Google – your simple fix was what we needed.

1/8/2015
  37. koti

i did the same what you have written,, but no use…
    still my google search is not working..

1/20/2015
  38. Shafi

It does not work

1/24/2015
  39. Isa

Thank you for your help, unfortunately, my problem has been going on for a month now. I can not use my search engine, or open new tabs. This is not only affecting one of my computers but all four. I have sent help reports to Chrome but they have yet to respond in addition, I have tried to uninstall and I am not allow to uninstall chrome. I am running out of ideas and would like to get some feed back from others who might be experiencing this problem thanks..

1/27/2015
  40. merin

hai… i sort of have a big pblm… i happnd to download kmplayer from a site. but after the download my whole of google icon changed and some other search engine came in place of it, VOSTERAN. it completely changed my working desktop. my google search engine stopped working literally. not even my IE works. Google is damn important to my work. this VOSTERAN turned out to be a virus. i uninstalled whatever files and programs that were downloaded, installed to my system, cleared browsing data… but nothing seemed to work. i even uninstalled my google chrome. but that too was in vain.. please help me solve it… its important for me… please do help… i hope u reply back… :(

1/28/2015
  41. vrishank

did not help me.i have had this problem for more dan a mnth now.nuthing changed aftr following the above mentioned steps

2/18/2015
  42. Biju

thanks Greg. For me also ‘unticking the “Predict network actions to improve page load performance” checkbox in the Advanced settings’ worked

2/19/2015
  43. plabon

worked for me just fine.
    u r a lifesaver :)

3/12/2015
  44. Anonymous Person

This is such a stupid bug. This “fix” if you can call it that lasted me a day or two before lo and behold back to the same old crap. Google seriously needs to address this.

3/18/2015
    • j

I have 400+ computers and most of them are experiencing this problem, when using chrome they can not go to any google services such as gmail, drive, etc.. until they clear the cache. Once cache is cleared it will start working for a while and then same thing again. This is a big problem since we are using google apps for education and chrome is a very important tool. It does not happen with other browsers, just chrome

3/24/2015
  45. Nora

Wow, this actually worked!

3/24/2015
  46. kate

Thank you. This worked. Since it started about a week ago, I used “four weeks” rather than “past hour”.

3/26/2015
  47. try this
    ipconfig /flushdns

and restart the browser

3/31/2015
    • Rohit Dhar

Thanks Chandan .. it worked for me :)

4/1/2015
  48. George

i am trying to open http://www.google.com on IE and chrome but both shows this web page is not available…. but images.google.com ,gmail and pther google sites work just not only google.com or google.co.in plz help i am not able to search.

4/12/2015