Mar 13

How to Fix: Google Search Engine Not Working in Chrome

This is an easy one.

1. Click on the tab in the upper right hand corner that lets you go to your Chrome settings.
  2. Click on “Settings”.
  3. Scroll down to the bottom and click on “Show advanced settings…”.
  4. Under “Privacy”, click on “Clear browsing data…”.
  5. The following four items should have checkmarks:
    • Clear browsing history
    • Clear downloaded history
    • Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data
    • Empty the cache

The following four items should not have a checkmark in them (unless you want to clear this information too):

• Clear saved passwords
    • Clear saved Autofill form data
    • Clear data from hosted apps
    • Deauthorize content licenses
  6. The default setting will be to delete the browsing data for the past hour, but if you have had this problem of not being able to use Google Search in Chrome for longer than an hour, you can change the setting of “Obliterate the following items from…” to a longer period. If you are not sure, leave this as “the past hour” for now. If this solution doesn’t work, try increasing this and doing it again.
  7. Click on “Clear browsing data”.

This should fix it, especially if the problem has just started recently. If it doesn’t do the trick, please say so in the comments.

27 Comments

1. Claire says:

Thank you soooo much! I have an 8000 word essay to write in the next couple of days and do all my research through google. I nearly had heart failure when it stopped working.

Life saver!

Thanks again :)

2. gordon says:

hi

every time I click google to go to the Start -metro doesn’t even go in to google page of any kind please help .

3. Ahmed says:

Thanks a lot appreciating your effort

4. matt says:

That didn’t work for me. I still type a search string into the bar at the top of a new tab and nothing happens. I have to open the google page and type it into the search bar to get search results.

5. Jarrod says:

Thanks for your solution.

6. jean says:

I have AVG search that comes up when I hit new tab in Google Chrome and it will not work even after the steps you outlined. First search window when I open Chrome says Delta Search. I don’t know why this changes? If I want to search anything, I have to go back to IE,
    I prefer Google search

7. Gugu says:

Thank you for your help. It works but only for a day or two. Then I have to clear my cache again. Why is this happening now to me?

8. sayali says:

my settings/history options are not working either
    there is nothing displayed on and the page is completely blank what do you think the problem is

9. A. Prema says:

Many thanks! Your free help is magnanimous and saves us a fortune taking the computer down to the ‘specialists’ who charge an arm and a leg!

10. Cy says:

Thanks for your advice. I looked at my settings and found they were set as they should be. I am using a Japanese computer in Windows XP. Google was working well until yesterday. Now I find it cannot do basic searches, eg train information on “Jorudan” so I have reverted to Windows Explorer and that works.

11. Scouse722 says:

I have had it with Google. It does not retain the search list. After clicking on the first item in the list, you can not go back to the first page and have to research the subject again.

Also, even though the cursor is flashing in the sear box, no typing appears until you click in the box.

Last straw, the have moved the Google bar and now it takes four clicks to find Google Maps.

Gone to Yahoo

12. Taher says:

chrome breaks google search on windows 8. This solution doesn’t work for me.

13. Márcio says:

thank you so much, that bug was driving me crazy :)

14. Chris says:

Not only did it not work but now no other search engine will work in chrome either so thanks for that, guess it’s back to firefox disappointingly.

15. Chris says:

Also should have mentioned, it’s only happening on this computer, the other 5 computers in my house chrome runs just fine on them other than the occasional “Aw Snap” page.

16. Coxy says:

Great! seems to have done the trick. When I did a search I wasn’t getting a list of sites just a blank page, followed the above advice and it seems to have worked. Thank you very much.

17. Coxy says:

Ah, worked for two minutes and back to the same problem? a total pain and taking so much time trying to resolve it!

18. Sandy says:

I am having the same problem as a few others… None of my Google Pages are working in Chrome. (Google Maps, Google search, Google calendar, etc) But they work in Safari.

When I clear the cache, these pages work for a few hours – sometimes even a day or so – then back to not working. What could be going on? – I do not want to have to clear my cache every few hours – I use Google all day! (and I liked Chrome)

19. Linas says:

I’ve got Windows 8.1. As soon as I click on the settings, the settings disappear and it crashes.

20. eric says:

So easy…but I didn’t know. Been stuck for weeks and now all is well

21. Jackdashack says:

I found it easy. Couldn’t get Chrome or IE to load Google. Turn off your router. While it’s sitting restart the pc and while it’s booting up turn the router back on. Something about the DNS cache in the router gets gunked up! Jack “:-D\

22. Karthik says:

..even settings,history doesn’t open.Google page itself not loading its remains untitled ..

23. Tim says:

That worked like a charm. Thank You!!

24. random says:

OMG this is the best i had tried deleting chrome and my extension but i saw this and this is the only thing that worked thank you SO MUCH

25. Marine says:

Umm i just fix this problem recently, accidently…
    and apparently there’s a new AD/Malware installed by 3rd party on your system, i did clean up yesterday and it’s working nicely now.
    You would’ve want to do ad/malware cleaning to try…

26. Jane says:

Thank you so so much! I still get these annoying pop up ads, what do I do about that?

27. Chris says:

The following worked for me. On Windows, from http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/google.co.uk.html:
    Start : Run : “cmd” — this opens a command prompt
    Type:
    ipconfig /flushdns

As I understand it this clears the system’s cached lookup of IP address per domain name, forcing it to get up-to-date links.