How to Fix: Google Search Engine Not Working in Chrome

This is an easy one.

1. Click on the tab in the upper right hand corner that lets you go to your Chrome settings.
  2. Click on “Settings”.
  3. Scroll down to the bottom and click on “Show advanced settings…”.
  4. Under “Privacy”, click on “Clear browsing data…”.
  5. The following four items should have checkmarks:
    • Clear browsing history
    • Clear downloaded history
    • Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data
    • Empty the cache

The following four items should not have a checkmark in them (unless you want to clear this information too):

• Clear saved passwords
    • Clear saved Autofill form data
    • Clear data from hosted apps
    • Deauthorize content licenses
  6. The default setting will be to delete the browsing data for the past hour, but if you have had this problem of not being able to use Google Search in Chrome for longer than an hour, you can change the setting of “Obliterate the following items from…” to a longer period. If you are not sure, leave this as “the past hour” for now. If this solution doesn’t work, try increasing this and doing it again.
  7. Click on “Clear browsing data”.

This should fix it, especially if the problem has just started recently. If it doesn’t do the trick, please say so in the comments.

This entry was posted in Chrome, How To. Bookmark the permalink.

93 Responses to How to Fix: Google Search Engine Not Working in Chrome

1. pip says:

The only way that the search will work is if after I type, I click the magnifying glass.

2. Tyler says:

This did not work for me, I’m using an Acer 720p.

3. suzanna says:

thanks.it worked

4. Kate Carreaux says:

It won’t even go to settings or history. It just sits there and won’t open at all. This has never happened. It is as if the entire Chrome feature is dead. Thoughts? And thank God I have Mozilla and never removed IE.

5. Kate Carreaux says:

George, did you manage to get it to work? If so, how?

6. Ethan Motley says:

Apparently every time I click the Chrome icon it pops up and then goes away I have kept clicking it multiple times but I is not working straight plz find a solution

7. Subhakar says:

My google search engine is not working , n youtube also .
    I have tried all u r tricks but that’s not working . Google is not working in my 3 PC’s n also
    my i pad n even my phone .. plzzz can u help me with this ….

8. Subhakar says:

its not working for me . wht do ui think i can do ??

9. Mansha says:

Thanks. This totally worked for me after trying so many things. Now I can work! thank you.

10. jaffer says:

Google quick search box is not working in moto g2 mobile , it doesn’t show in front screen,

11. Mhicaella Calugtong says:

very very helpful. thank you!

12. Carol K says:

Using Google Chrome with Vista and it began running slower and slower over several days and now getting lots of “Oh snap” and black pages. Have cleared as suggested several times and rebooted computer, same problems.

13. Carol K says:

Using google chrome on vista. Began running very, very slow a few ago then lots of “oh snap” and now just blank pages for many of my favorite web sites. Did all the clearing up several times, rebooted, still not better.

14. Chris says:

Thanks for the help, that was an annoying problem

15. Jo Perry says:

My chrome has crashed and will not allow me to use the steps y’ve presented. If I can’t get to settings, how am I suppose to fix it?

16. Aishwarya says:

My google search engine is not working.
    The Page at http://www.google.co.in says:

WARNING! Your Player may be out of date.Please update to
    continue

But when pressed OK, A window for installation of flash player
    appears, but when pressed either install or Remind me later button
    the setup gets downloaded but nothing happens. So what can I do
    about it.

17. Cesar says:

Finally! Thank you so much, it worked! I wish Google automatically did this!

18. Michael Watkins says:

I cleared my cache and still I can’t successfully use the FIND bar in Chrome. Please help

19. ivana says:

it’s even worse now …!!!!

20. Laasya says:

Thanks a lot!
    This worked for me.

21. William says:

I had the same problem for several days but I was able to fix it by updating ‘Google’ on the ‘Play Store’
    Now it displays a new already out wonderful features be useful to me. I am really impressed and very grateful.
    I hope this helps!!!

22. Jeri-Anne says:

I hate google chrome and love regular google, but it stopped working about a week ago, any suggestions? Thanks!

23. TheTruth says:

Start > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program > Uninstall Google Chrome.

24. Paul Horgan says:

Paul Horgan, based in China

Thank you, your ‘fix’ worked for me today 28/October/2015.

Regards,

Paul

25. Gray Alexander says:

As of today nothing comes up on Google Search. Though I have many issues with Google/Gmail/Calender/etc. I have no choice but to use as Google works within my PC/Android/Ipad. I have tried to repair in settings and asked every question under the sun despite how difficult it is since “GOOGLE SEARCH” is not functioning. So frustrating, have spent hours on.

26. Gray Alexander says:

I wouldn’t even care if I had to click on magnifying glass just so I could move forward. Nothing works. It is slowing me down. Why is Google so PROPRIETARY?

27. BokaLike says:

Here is the Simple Solution, It works 100%…

Go to Address Bar & type: http://www.bing.com
    and enter your keyword.
    You will get results UNFILTERED & EnJoy….

28. Gavin Robertson says:

Yes this worked!
    I had the problem that when the search bar was in the center of the page I would make a search, but It would just reload the page to bring up the search bar instead. With that bar loaded there was never any joy searching, it was as if you never pressed enter. Then you could press the back arrow to go back to the previous page press enter again, and it would work. This was EVERY time and was annoying. Now it just works!!!!

29. Sudipta says:

Hello All,

I too am having similar problem now while searching. However, after re-trying is sometime, it works. I have even cleared my cache and browsing history. But the problem seems to be occurring intermittently.

Hope GOOGLE will be fixing this soon!

30. Hapless Dad says:

It worked! Thank you. It was beginning to drive me nuts!!

31. Sherpherd Randa says:

It worked for me. Thanks.

32. Jen says:

Did anyone having this problem on 10/30&31/2015 fix it? Also having same problem. Cleaning history etc does not work

33. Jim says:

Deleting history didn’t work for me. I tried the suggestion in another comment, Under settings, privacy, I unchecked ‘use a prediction service to help complete searches..’ and so far that has worked.

34. Leia says:

I have been battling this for a week. I type in the google search bar in the middle of the page, and it would jump to the top and populate a field there BUT using the “ENTER” key or pressing the magnifying glass both netted white blank page of no results.

Did this and for the first time in a week, it jumped to the top again, but at least I got search results. It is a start. Then I tried it a second time after your fix and got the white blank page with no results. I am SO frustrated.

Anyone else have double line text entries in Facebook as well as these Search problems.? I type in one comment field and it splits the typing up between two fields.

NOTE!!! I did a full uninstall and reinstall to NO avail before trying this.

35. Manu says:

Thank you so much! It worked for me.

36. Vighnesh says:

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!! finally it worked…but is there any permanent way to fix it ? or we have to clear history all the time? thnx anyways!!

37. PES says:

Worked for me. Thanks!

38. Denise Skea says:

This fix worked. Thankyou

39. Kelly Bergeon says:

This only works on the next search following the directions. If I try another search term, it doesn’t work and I have to clear history/cookies/etc all over again.

40. HES student says:

you are the best!!!
    groetjes uit amsterdam

41. bhoopesh singh pawar says:

My google search engine is not working.
    The Page at http://www.google.co.in says:

WARNING! Your Player may be out of date.Please update to
    continue

But when pressed OK, A window for installation of flash player
    appears, but when pressed either install or Remind me later button
    the setup gets downloaded but nothing happens. So what can I do
    about it

42. Arthur Gray says:

I’ve deleted browsing data in the past which has worked but for this problem it did not work. The search engine just seems to hang there and do nothing. Bookmarks work okay but basic Google search doesn’t. I can fix the problem by uninstalling and then reinstalling Chrome but after a few days the problem re-emerges. This problem only occurs on my main (Windows 8.1) p.c. not on my Windows 7 laptop or my iPad. Any further thoughts?

43. Mandy says:

Worked like a charm – thank you!