Category Archives: Software

How to Add a YouTube Username in Google Apps for Education Accounts

I set up a YouTube account for teachers to use, but I was not able to upload a video until I set the username. However I couldn’t set the username at all. The interface would not work. I would enter my chosen username and click on “continue” and nothing would happen. After searching on the internet a bit, I came up with the solution. I had to enable Google+ use for the sub-organization for that user account in Google Apps for Education. As soon as I did that, I could make the username without any problems. I have heard that it is possible to go back and disable Google+ once the username is made without any ill effects (but I have not actually tried that yet, so I can’t guarantee the truth of that).

Can’t Play YouTube Videos through Facebook Links on Android Phone

My Android (HTC J One) suddenly stopped playing videos when I clicked on Facebook links that went directly to a video. I could play videos from links to websites, but not from links to videos.

Here is how I fixed this problem.

I closed the Facebook app and opened the Youtube app. I noticed that the Youtube app didn’t open properly. I tried to delete the app by dragging it to the trash can, but it didn’t delete. However, when I opened the Youtube app again, it asked me which account I wanted to use. I chose a different account than the one I had been using. (I have several Gmail accounts.) Once I chose the new account, the app worked fine. I went back into Facebook and I was able to play Youtube videos again.

It happened again a few days later. I closed Facebook and opened the interface that shows me which apps are open by tapping the “home” key twice quickly. I closed the YouTube app by sliding it off the screen. Then, when I went into YouTube, it asked me some sort of question (I can’t remember now what it was) about some sort of new feature. I answered it and things were fine again after that. I think the problem is that the YouTube app is sending out messages of some sort, but the messages cannot be read when you open the app from inside Facebook. So you have to close the app and open it from the launcher to clear out whatever message is causing the problem.

Google, please fix this!

How to Get Rid of the “Something Went Wrong” Problem with Links in Facebook on your Phone

My cellphone (Android, HTC J-One) started giving me the following error every time I tried to follow a link to an external site from the official Facebook app.

Something went wrong
Sorry but there was a problem with this link
[insert link here]
You can now continue to this website or go back to the page you were on before. Remember: Only follow links from sources you trust.

I found out that the reason this happened was because I was not logged in to Facebook in my browser. The links in FB are often masked with a different address that includes the FB domain and by jumping from the app to the browser (where I wasn’t logged in), Facebook somehow thought someone was up to no good. Once I opened my browser and logged in there, I could click on links in the FB app and be taken to them without this error popping up.

Some sites will mention that deleting the Facebook Pages app will fix this problem. It didn’t in my case.

Why is Google Chrome Using Up So Much Memory?

I have a Windows 7 laptop and recently the fan has started to run loudly whenever I open Chrome. This made me think that Chrome was using up too much memory. I was able to narrow it down to Chrome because it happens even if there is nothing else open.

I noticed in the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+delete, then select “Task Manager”) that Chrome had launched several processes. I wondered why that was the case and whether that was what was causing the problem. This post on Reddit gave an idea of how to proceed.

  1. Use shift+esc while you are in Chrome to see what processes are currently running.
  2. Have a look (on the settings page) at which extensions you have enabled and delete any ones that you don’t use very often.

This seems to have fixed the problem, so far.

How to Fix the Code D100 PPPoE Problem After Windows Update

After I updated my computer to Windows 8.1 (from Windows 8.0), I got a garbled error message on my screen that said something about “Code D100” and PPPoE. I couldn’t read the rest of it because it was in incorrectly encoded Japanese, despite the fact that my computer is Japanese. I figured out that the problem was with the Flet’s Connection Tool (フレッツ接続ツール). I was able to fix it by downloading a new version of the connection tool here.